Welcome to our Blog!

We hope you enjoy visiting our page. Feel free to leave your comments so we know you're out there.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

It must be close to Halloween.


Today was interesting, to say the least. This is how I found Nicolas early this morning, next to our bed, after spending most of the night vomiting. Poor little thing. He seemed to do much better as the day went on, but he was definitely feeling tired and a little lethargic.
Anyway, Chris had the day off, so we decided it would be a good day to winterize our camp trailer. This required taking the trailer into town so we could empty the tanks and pick up some antifreeze. While we were in town, we decided to stop at Fred Meyer to pick up a few things we needed. When we left there and headed to the State Trailer Supply store, I was starting to get a bad headache. So I pulled out the little bottle of "meds" I keep in my purse. I usually just keep Tylenol and Motrin in there, but one of the last times I was at the store, I grabbed a little bottle of Aleve that was on clearance and thought it was the perfect travel size to keep in my purse. So I took two Aleve and we went on to the store and bought antifreeze. When we got back in the car to drive home, I said to Chris: "Hmmm, my tongue feels itchy all of a sudden. Weird." He keeps driving and we're now on the freeway headed the 10 miles to home. Suddenly my hands and the bottoms of my feet start itching, like crazy, mad, burning, itching. I turned to Chris and said that I was thinking I might be allergic to the Aleve?! Things sort of spiralled out of control after that; I started having pain and tightness in my chest and neck, my ears felt full of air, I started vomiting, and then a pain came in my lower abdomen like nothing I've ever felt before. It hurt so bad, it was shooting down my legs. Chris was panicking a bit at this point, he kept asking me if I wanted to go to the doctor, but I just said "Get me home!" But instead, he was so worried about what was happening, as I was apparently turning bright pink and rashy on my face, he pulled off on the side of the freeway and called 911 for an ambulance. What happened after that was sort of a blur to me. I was put in the ambulance and taken to the hospital, while Chris took Nicolas and ran home to unhook the trailer from the car and come back to meet me at the hospital. Once I was there, they took some blood, started an IV, and gave me some Benadryl, Steroids, Zofran (for vomiting) and Morphine. As fast as word travels, I was greeted by Chris' ISP Captain and two of the sargents before Chris was even back there to be with me! It was kind of embarrassing, actually, as I was sobbing and shaking from the pain in what felt like my uterus. It was the strangest thing, almost like having contractions, only I'm not pregnant. Once the meds started helping, and I was feeling some relief, they took me for an ultrasound to make sure there was nothing else going on. That test came back normal, thank goodness. In the end, the doctors decided it was most likely a severe allergic reaction, and I was prescribed a three day stint of steroids, and given a prescription for an EpiPen that the doc said I should keep with me at all times.

I just wanted to say 'thanks' to Holly and Jared for taking the kids home from school on such short notice and keeping them happy until we could get them back. You guys are lifesavers! Now I should probably go try to get some rest, since the Morphine, still running through my system, is making me feel loopy. I hope this blog post even makes sense!

8 comments:

JenniG said...

How scary Priscilla! I'm glad you're ok. We've had our fair share of ambulance rides due to allergic reactions (my husband). Not fun I'm glad you're on the mend.

Julie Barb said...

Holy cow! What a tramatic experience! Hope you are doing better now!!

The Bowler Five said...

Scary! I am so glad you got to the hospital fast and that things are on the up and up.

John said...

How very frightening!!! It is fortunate that your husband was with you. And I expect you were up all night the night before to top off the trauma. I hope that you will be feeling fine, and that none of the rest of your kids will keep you up all night with the stomach flu.

Steven, Kimberly and Gavin said...

glad your okay

Elizabeth Downie said...

How in the world did I miss this post!? I'm just now seeing it! That is sooo scary!! You want to hear something weird? I had to go to the ER this year due to Alleve too! I didn't have anything like your reaction to it, thank goodness - in my case, my stomach became a fire ball and I had an asthma attack. All due to Alleve. I'm so glad you're ok and that Chris called 911!! How scary!

Priscilla said...

Elizabeth-dang that Aleve! Who knew it had somekind of allergan in it? I'm glad you're okay! At least now we know...

Angie Cheney said...

Man, I'm glad you're both okay! Scary!