This game of Internet "tag" seems to be the trend, so I'll play along (thanks, Lindsay) and try and come up with a few, less commonly known facts about myself. Here goes:
1. I played oboe in high school, and despite the occasional comment that I sounded like a dying duck, my claim to fame was that I played in the pit orchestra for our community/school production of "Oliver!"
2. I often call my children by very strange nick-names, and have been given some very odd looks by people overhearing me do this. For example, mumpshkin comes to mind...my son Sammy, often referred to as Mammers, Sophie, aka: Dee Dee girl, and Nicolas, otherwise Nickerpicker. Sometimes I just call them whatever weird sound feels right at the time, like goojie, or gubie or whatever! (I know a lot of moms do this this, it seems some sort of mommy-love phenomenon.)
3. When I was a kid (from age 3-7) my dad was in the Navy and we lived in Iceland. For most of the time we were there, we didn't live on the Naval base, we lived in a duplex surrounded by Icelandic natives. So my best friend, Hulda, that I played with all the time, didn't speak any English, and I didn't speak Icelandic, so I'm not too sure how we communicated, but as creative as kids can be, we obviously found a way!
4. I never went to high school Prom. Sad, I know. (Sad, pathetic; not sad, boo hoo!) I'm scarred for life. :)
5. I have a very strong aversion to many and certain smells. It's very bad when I'm pregnant, often being a trigger for much gastric unpleasantness! Sometimes I can smell things when no one else can, it drives my husband nuts.
6. Once on a vacation in Costa Rica, I held a sloth! So weird, and again, the smell!
7. I like to put cinnamon in everything! Chicken recipes, smoothies, Postum (which they don't make anymore, by the way, I'm very disappointed about it), hot cereal, anything.
8. I HATE mouth noises. I'm sure there are many others who would also appreciate this one. Unfortunately, this becomes a (small) source of contention between my husband and I, as he is one of those people tolerant of almost anything and can't understand what my issue is with what he calls "being human". Ugh.
Well, that's about all I can think of offhand. Hopefully a bit of entertainment for someone out there!
Now I tag: Katee, Kristen, and Kristie? (I really need to build up my list of blogging "friends"!)
2 comments:
What is/was Postum? And I can't believe you didn't name your only daughter after your dear childhood friend, HULDA!!!
You crack me up! Seriously, I always know I can get a laugh reading your blog or comments you make!
Postum was an instant hot beverage made of wheat, but supposed to taste similar to coffee. Sounds weird, I know. As for the name thing, I was torn between Hulda and Chica, so we decided to go with Sophie. :)
Post a Comment