
Well, technically not a snow day, more of a FREAKING FREEZING day! At 6am I was startled awake by the phone ringing: school cancelled due to the extremely cold temps. As soon as I heard the kids waking up at their usual time to get ready for school, I went in to tell them the good news. Sam and Sophie were disappointed, they wanted to go to school. So we found ways to fill the day, including a big breakfast complete with homemade biscuits, green eggs (with zucchini) and bacon. I wasn't too sure how the green eggs would go over, but luckily the kids all wolfed them down and wanted seconds!
Then we made homemade play-doh. The kids helped with the stirring and kneading, and we made red and green for Christmas. That kept them occupied for a couple of hours. Sam's best friend called and asked him to play at his house in the afternoon, where he got to go sledding on the big hill in his friend's yard. While he was gone, Chris and I made sugar cookies for the kids to decorate later on when Sam came home. I put some different colors of frosting in little bowls, gave the kids clean paintbrushes, and let them decorate the cookies any way they wanted. Nick had so much fun "painting" the frosting on that by the time he finished with his allotment of cookies, Chris referred to them as "Nightmare Before Christmas-Cookies", because the colors of the frosting all melded together and thickened in a brown and reddish mess! It was so cute to watch him enjoying himself.
Noah was able to have his friend over for a couple of hours in the afternoon, which kept him happy. Then, this evening Chris watched Fred Claus with the kids while they ate their dinner. Now they're in bed, I just finished making a couple of dozen cupcakes for an Achievement Days activity tomorrow morning, and I'm getting ready to go school Chris in a game of Trivial Pursuit on the Wii. ;)
1 comment:
Sounds like a perfect snow day. :)
Post a Comment