As it turns out, this "groomer doesn't have it"! I was giving our little pooch a bath when I noticed he had some matted fur around his tummy. So I grabbed my little trimming shears, and started to clip away. At one point I had pulled his fur taut and he moved just as I snipped, then he yelped and I immediately saw that I had gotten his skin! It was awful and scary, and I felt terrible! Luckily there wasn't much blood because it wasn't a deep cut, but it did make a flap in his skin and I knew I was going to have to cover it somehow to avoid infection.
I called the vet and described the wound to see if it may need a stitch, to which they said probably not. But in the meantime I have been nursing our little fuzzball back to health, changing the bandage and dressing a couple of times a day. He HATES the restriction the bandage puts on him, and he does quite a bit of thrashing around, licking and biting on it, trying to get it off.
Now for those of you who don't have pets, or maybe aren't "dog people" (as Chris and I used to proclaim), you may think I'm a bit overly emotional about him, after all, he's just a dog! The thing is, he's made his place in all our hearts so quickly because he's such a sweet and loving little thing, and I already can't imagine not having him here. One of these days I have to get some video footage of him when Chris comes home from work - his tail wagging excitement is hilarious. He has a gentle temperament and is so great with the kids. Plus, he's sooo cute! My heart melts when I look at him, especially the past week as he's been mopey and withdrawn. He's slowly starting to act more like the playful little puppy he was before the incident, and rest assured that once his wound has completely healed, I will be making an appointment with an experienced groomer!
3 comments:
Yea I used to be one of those people who were like "it's just a dog" but after seeing how our kids love our dog I completely understand. I hope he heals quickly.
Awww, that's so sad. But it was just a mistake, so don't worry too much. It could've happened to any of us! I hope he gets all healed up quickly. He is so cute.
I remember when my oldest was just a baby and I accidently clipped his finger nails too far...ouch! I really cried over that one. I know how you feel. He will heal quickly and be back to normal in no time at all, and the great thing about dogs is they have unconditional love for their family. He sure is a cute little thing. Love the name too!
Post a Comment